The following information appears on Syracuse University’s Remembrance Scholars website:
Remembrance Week – October 25-31, 2015
Saturday, October 24, at the Carrier Dome – SU vs. Pitt game, Homecoming
Remembrance and Lockerbie Scholars will distribute information to students about Remembrance Week; participate in the Pre-Game ceremonies; and observe a Moment of Silence during game
Sunday, October 25
7:30 p.m. – A Candlelight Vigil will be held to honor all 270 individuals, especially the 35 Syracuse students, killed in the bombing of Pan Am Flight 103. The vigil will begin at Hendricks Chapel and conclude at the Wall of Remembrance.
Monday, October 26
7 p.m. – Slocum Hall Auditorium – screening of the documentary “My Brother’s Bomber” by Ken Dornstein. Ken’s brother, David, was killed on Pan Am 103.
Tuesday, October 27
7 p.m. – Room 500 Hall of Languages – “Terrorism in the Internet Age.” Panelists include:• William Banks – Interim Dean, College of Law; Professor of Public Administration and International Affairs; Director of the Institute for National Security and Counterterrorism (INSCT)
• Sean O’Keefe – University Professor, G’78, expert on national security, former roles include: chairman of Airbus Group, president of Louisiana State University, and Director of NASA
• Brian Semann – Assistant Professor, iSchool and co-director of the Behavior-Information-Technology-Society Lab (BITS)
Wednesday, October 28
A Day of Service:
• 12 noon – 3:00 p.m. Schine Student Center – Join the Remembrance Scholars and make sandwiches for the Samaritan Center of Syracuse.
• 4-6 p.m. – Halloween Party at Northeast Community Center
Remembrance and Lockerbie Scholars – both current and alumni scholars – will be participating in service events locally and across the USA in honor of Remembrance Week.
Thursday, October 29
2-5 p.m. Materials from the Pan Am 103/Lockerbie Air Disaster Archives will be on display and open to the public. Bird Library, Spector Room, Room 608.
7 p.m. “A Celebration of Life” – Syracuse students present an evening of performances and remembrances to honor and celebrate the lives of those killed on Pan Am Flight 103. Panasci Lounge, Schine Student Center.
Friday, October 30
9 a.m.-noon. Materials from the Pan Am 103/Lockerbie Air Disaster Archives will be on display and open to the public. Bird Library, Spector Room, Room 608.
2:03 p.m. The Annual Rose Laying ceremony will remember the Syracuse students killed in the Pan Am 103 bombing. Place of Remembrance, in front of Hall of Languages.
3:30 p.m. The Remembrance Convocation will honor the 2015-16 Remembrance and Lockerbie Scholars.
Hendricks Chapel, meet in the Noble Room.
Saturday, October 31
10 a.m. Current and Alumni Remembrance / Lockerbie Scholar meeting and brunch.
Goldstein Alumni and Faculty Center.
Throughout the Remembrance Week – October 25-31 – and beyond
• All week, Insomnia Cookies on Marshall St. will donate 10% of every sale to the Ronald McDonald House of Syracuse in recognition of Remembrance Week
• Remembrance and Lockerbie Scholars will represent the Syracuse students and Lockerbie residents killed in the Pan Am bombing throughout the week
• A Remembrance Dove will be located in the Whitman Atrium – all are invited to add a memorial ribbon to the sculpture
• The Wall of Hopes and Dreams will be located in the HBC Plaza – all are invited to add their dreams to the wall
• Remembrance and Lockerbie Scholars will present information about Remembrance Week and Pan Am 103 to classes in all the Syracuse University schools and colleges, and at various sporting events
• “Looking Back, Acting Forward: The Remembrance and Lockerbie Scholars” – exhibit of materials from the Pan Am Flight 103/Lockerbie Air Disaster Archives pertaining to the history of the Scholars programs will run from October 25th-November 20th, on the first floor of Bird Library.
• The Hall of Languages will be lit with blue lights in observance of Remembrance Week
• A display of chairs, representing where Syracuse’s 35 student sat on Pan Am 103, will be set up on the Quad beginning October 25 through October 31.
• An exhibit of Remembrance posters including pictures of SU’s Pan Am students and the Dark Elegy sculptures will be on display in the Panasci Lounge, Schine Student Center from October 25 through October 31.
• Resident Advisors will create bulletin boards about Remembrance Week in all residence halls